Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I am a grumpy old man

I've realized that the majority of things I blog about make me sound like a grumpy old man, including my rant on cotton...however, does anyone not hear Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night" and think that it is really, truly the end this time? Here is just one part:

There's a hickey or a bruise
Pictures of last night
Ended up online
I'm screwed
Oh well
It's a black top blur
But I'm pretty sure it ruled

So, those are the lyrics, and then the music video is a dorky school-aged girl who becomes cool when she parties with Rebecca Black. Now obviously if you party with Rebecca Black you are cool, but seriously, hey teenage girl, guess what...get blackout drunk and do whatever and you'll be cool, otherwise you'll be a dork. That is the lesson. I don't know, do kids just listen and not really absorb or care about the words? I can tell you that when I listened to that "New Age Girl" song back in the day I used to BELT out "SHE DON'T EAT MEAT BUT SHE SURE LIKE THE BONE" and thought nothing of it. It was a mix of not really caring what the words said and not really getting it, but still...are there are less innuendos in these pop songs now? Thinking back, I do remember K7's "Come Baby Come" was one of my favorites, but that is just because I like baseball...you know...."two balls and a bat, the pitcher wears a hat...sliding into home base trying to hit a home run swing batta batta batta batta batta SWING!" Sounds like good clean fun to me. I'm going to preempt my kids' listening to bad music by downloading some 69 Boyz "Tootsie Roll." How can a song about chocolate candy be bad?

No comments: