Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pieces of Flair

Ok, I know blogging about work is a big "no-no" when it comes to things like job security, not pissing off important people, etc., so I won't blog about work. Since this blog is so wildly popular, it could easy be viewed by the wrong people. Oh wait...this blog ISN'T wildly popular...screw the man! (But not really, I really need to keep my job)

I just wanted to say one thing, anyway, and this, my friends, is not a joke. I am not exaggerating, nor am I putting words in anyone's mouth. But, I was literally told by a certain someone who has certain authority over me that I put too much flair in my edits (I'm a proofreader). Seriously, too much flair? Now, if I had access to glitter pens and stickers, I could see this person's point, since I would obviously put those tools to use. However, I have a blue pencil. I correct spelling, add commas, and fix grammatical errors. Apparently the lines that I use are too loopy. Seriously, that phrase was also used. I loop my lines too much.

I am not against constructive criticism, and I received some of that, too. But how desperate are you to find something when you need to talk to someone about their excessive flair? Also, is this 1984? See, I guess I was just born to be more flamboyant than the position of proofreader allows. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I was supposed to be Adam Shankman...he makes me wish I was either a teen-aged Disney star or a gay man.

No comments: